The first Governors Island Explorer’s Guide Walking Tour of the season will be on Memorial Day (Monday, May 28) at 2 p.m. It will be free for all veterans and anyone who has the app download. Everyone else $20 each.
- See 50 (yes FIFTY) locations on the island
- History of all Army buildings and Army housing
- Significance of all fortifications and military use of the island
- The people that made the island a home for 200 years
- Historical trivia galore
- War of 1812 and the island
- Civil War locations and tales
- Insights into life on the island from the Dutch to the present day
- Current usage of the park and the buildings, what the future holds
- This is a two-hour walking tour of the Historic District and the National Monument
- See rare photos, maps and drawings from my personal collection
- I served in the U.S. Marine Corps so I can handle anything you can throw at me!
- Plus a special bonus for Memorial Day. You. Won’t. Believe. This.
I love visiting Governors Island showing off its many quirks and charms. When I was researching the material for the app, I came up with so much material that I couldn’t fit into it. Now I can tell you what I learned.
See parts of Governors Island that are not on other walks and talks. Experience New York’s greatest new park for this insider’s tour.
I might not be able to give this walking tour again until September, so please join me.
Info: The walking tour meets at 2 p.m. at the top of the hill when you get off the ferry. The fee is free for veterans and anyone who has the app; all others $20. Cash or credit card accepted. The walk lasts approximately two hours so wear comfortable shoes. I suggest bringing a bottle of water. Kids are of course welcome; unfortunately the island bans dogs. My cell # is 917.526.0597 or you can email me kevin (AT) governorsislandguide.com. Reservations are not required but you can email in advance and say you are coming. You can also follow me on Twitter for updates @k72ndSt.